Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Expanding the site 
UB Newbie

UBPoints: 277

UB competition wins: 1

Showroom (117)
Post Expanding the site
Hi.
I see the site has been changed lately and it looks way better than couple of years ago. As you're pumping new life to the site I suggest it should have userbox support.

I know userboxes are far less known than userbars. I have to admit I've never done any. However I find they might come handy in some cases. In some forums you may want to collapse your pictures side by side in case of a boards signature length rules and this way you can share more information. And as a designer you may find it better if the userbar height is just not enough. Of-course default standards should be set for userboxes.

Adding this feature is an extra work but I thought I'll mention it anyway. It would be something that would differ this site from the other.

Userboxes would attract more visitors to the site and I think they are the main purpose why we make userbars.

Last edited by theman on 17 Apr 2011, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

02 Apr 2011, 14:36
UB King

UBPoints: 900

UB battle wins: 3

Showroom (234)
Post Re: Userbox support
Yeah, actually i think it's a great idea
Quote:
+1

i've not made any as well so i think it would be cool :D.

offtopic: OMG you are registred since 2008 won a competition and still 4 posts lolz

02 Apr 2011, 14:55
UB King

UBPoints: 4.673

UB battle wins: 4

Showroom (171)
But userboxes come under avatars anyway

[PAID]-Xperia-2011-bootloader-unlock-here-keeping DRM And-fastboot-enabled
My testpoint video

02 Apr 2011, 15:20
Profile YIM

UBPoints: 8.571

UB competition wins: 4
UB battle wins: 8

Showroom (213)
Maybe for the future, but I think it would need a separate website, as a daughter for UB.be, so probably not something for the near future, lol.

03 Apr 2011, 13:26
UB Newbie

Showroom (117)
Dvise wrote:
Maybe for the future, but I think it would need a separate website, as a daughter for UB.be, so probably not something for the near future, lol.

I don't think separate site would get on it's feet. They would't get very widely used and this site would probably die. However if we could make them easily accessable on this site, they'd collect more popularity.

04 Apr 2011, 18:21
UB Newbie

Showroom (117)
Post Re: Expanding the site
Let's continue this thread. I've been thinking about the future of the site after I had read someones concern from the shoutbox about no one using userbars anymore. It was last week if I'm not mistaking. The Facebook fan base is increasing quite fast so there still is interest about this site (however it's shame that the Facebooks fan page isn't updated anymore). But if we could fulfill more graphic needs? And with fixed standards (visitor font, one pixel border, reflection, etc.). I'm talking about someone comimg to this site and finding everything needed for forum signatures, avatars and MSN display pictures.

Everything would work exactly the same as with userbars - different categories, fixes size standards, voting, maybe even animator. Just different tabs for different types.

Sizes I'm suggesting:
350*19 and 350*20 - standard userbars.
50*125 - standard userbox size.
96*96 - standard size for MSN display pictures.
350*36 - I saw this size of pictures in gromit's signature. I have to admit they look cool and gives more ability to play with graphics.
Examples from his signature:
Of course these are just my opinions.

Little off-topic: what about new category to userbars called something like "Themed"? Category for userbar standards but with no text or fixed message, just graphics or photos. Something like this picture in my signature :)

17 Apr 2011, 12:17
UB Designer

UBPoints: 2.898

UB battle wins: 4

Showroom (255)
theman wrote:
350*36 - I saw this size of pictures in gromit's signature. I have to admit they look cool and gives more ability to play with graphics.

Yeah but it's not so difficult to put an entire image, or an entire concept inside a 350x36 bar - it's almost a standard signature. I'm not saying it won't help the site, but I feel a lot far from us right now.
Anyway, we can give it a try.

theman wrote:
Little off-topic: what about new category to userbars called something like "Themed"? Category for userbar standards but with no text or fixed message, just graphics or photos. Something like this picture in my signature

Misc category is ok, I think most of the people just search the userbar they want instead of browsing category.

-

17 Apr 2011, 14:38
UB Newbie

Showroom (117)
Chimera wrote:
Yeah but it's not so difficult to put an entire image, or an entire concept inside a 350x36 bar - it's almost a standard signature.

That would be the point. You could give much more concept with one picture while still keeping it quite small. I think it's all about giving a customer a choice.

Chimera wrote:
Misc category is ok, I think most of the people just search the userbar they want instead of browsing category.

Yes, I have thought about that. It's rather difficult to write keywords about plain graphics and if someone is looking for just a pretty picture it's quite hard to search it. However if there's separate category for graphics then it would be worth browsing directly from the category.

17 Apr 2011, 15:02
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]